14 November 2007

Turkey Chicken

Do you like my turkey? See above.

I have a hard time decorating or even enjoying Halloween, but I love autumn. So most of my fall decorations tend toward Thanksgiving. True, it is secular and latently patriotic, but at least it reflects some better qualities than pretending to be someone you're not (costumes) and gluttony (candy). If someone can name them, please post them here.

I think we, as Christians, should choose to celebrate All-Saints Day instead, but our Protestant selves seem to be more scared of our own (read Catholic) Christian saints than devils and witches.

Of course, I do love Buffy. . .

So, out come my turkeys.

The other good thing I can say about Thanksgiving is that it does provide an open door for explaining The Great Thanksgiving, or Eucharist, to our children. They can immediately identify with the feast and the familial elements of the seasonal celebration. This makes a simple transition into the eschatological and celebratory aspects of the Lord's Supper.

Ahh, Christ is indeed redeeming all things. . .

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, you always were afraid of people dressed up in costumes, including clowns and tall people on stilts at the Midevial fair. Then I never ever, ever let you dress in a witches costume did I? The one time I remember dressing up in a costume for Halloween, I won a prize. I didn't try, but my stockings kept coming down when I was walking in front of the judges and I was embarrassed to death! I guess that made the funny little lady look even better so I won. Now, of course, I have a whole closet full of costumes, hats, and wigs that I think you've been known to use as well--a good resource to have. I guess we've rubbed off on your dad because he like to put his Billy Bob teeth in and his black glasses with the oversize nose and scare the children when they trick or treat at our house. Oh yeah, then there was the time I dressed up in a horrible old ladies' costume for my retirement party. What a blast that was! Even the dog turned tail and quietly disappeared. Go ahead, Julia, dress up and have some fun!

Mom

Evan and Julia Abla said...

eh . . . do I know you?
Just kidding. I actually played dress up longer than I played with dolls, and I was probably pretty old by today's standards, when I stopped doing that.
You're right, I could not dress up as a witch, and the one time Cara did, I remember, her huge nose filled with snot. Tee hee. I think she also got stung by a wasp that night too. Coincidence? You were always looking out for me, weren't you, Mom.